Asteroids are used in astrology to fine tune themes brought up in the natal chart and also in synastry and mundane astrology. When using asteroids the orbs must be very tight, I would say not more than a 1.5 degree orb, otherwise you are in danger of completely diluting the chart and not seeing the forest for the trees. The next filter is to determine if they are conjunct or opposite the Sun, Moon or the Ascendant. We would also consider a tight trine or square. If they complete an aspect pattern then this is also important. If you find yourself strongly attracted to a mythical figure it is worth looking up the asteroid name and see if it features strongly in your chart.
We consider Ceres, Pluto, Eris, Chiron and the Black Moon Lilith to be exempt from the above rules and they are given more weight at Darkstar Astrology. The rest of the asteroids and minor planets are loosely categorized into three sets:
• Main Belt Asteroids, the Greco-Romans between Mars and Jupiter like Juno and Vesta.
• Trans-Neptunians (TNO’s), not all technically asteroids and some large enough to be minor planets like Sedna and Orcus.
• Centaurs, all small TNO’s like Pholus and Nessus, except Chiron who orbits between Saturn and Uranus and is actually classified as a comet.
Asteroids at Darkstar Astrology
Minor Planet Ceres
Minor Planet Chaos
Minor Planet Chiron
Minor Planet Eris
Minor Planet Pluto
Minor Planet Sedna
Finding Asteroids in Your Chart
1. Create your free chart at astro.com HERE.
2. Choose “Extended Chart Selection”.
3. Select everything in the “Additional objects” box. This will show the major asteroids in your chart.
4. If you have a particular asteroid in mind that is not in that additional objects box, then under that you will find a box called “additional asteroids or hypothetical planets”. Find the number of the asteroid you want from this Asteroid name/number List and add it to the box.
5. Yet another option is to use Serennu to list over 1000 asteroids in your chart. Remember to use UT for your time of birth, select “sort by degrees of the zodiac“, add the coordinates of your birth place, then select “Include first 1,000 asteroids“.
The Meanings of Asteroids in Astrology
The Wikipedia Asteroid Name Meanings Page lists all the known asteroids by number with links to the deity, person or place they were named after. Asteroids are like the saints, you can pray to them and meditate on them to inspire and ignite your own intuition about how to read your chart. Don’t take the myths too literally, they are a base from which to explore. It’s important to also consider the personality of the planetary body through it’s orbit, appearance and it’s discovery chart as well as the myth behind it. I would suggest browsing through Zane Stein for the TNO’s, Juan Antonio Revilla and Zsuzsanna Griga for Centaurs.
If you would like to know how an asteroid works in your chart, we can look at it as part of a natal reading if you request it. It’s important to see ones asteroids in context , therefore we cannot answer questions like “I have Isis conjunct my Sun, what does that mean?”. However we are happy to discuss the asteroids meaning generally.
Home > Asteroids.