New Moon August 2011- Brooding

The 29 August new moon is at 5 degrees Virgo. The tightest aspect is Moon trine Pluto.  The new moon pulls together each end of the Uranus Pluto square by trine and quincunx, which gives it the quality of a body guard. This is emphasized further because the new moon is in the constellation of the great bear. The new moon is also conjunct Asteroid Isis 42 the goddess of motherhood and fertility. This moon then is standing between two naughty kids, grabbing them both by the ears like a nanny. Moon trine Pluto can have a brooding sexuality, but with the she-bear this makes it broody too, maybe obsessionally so. Being very guarded and guarding others is a theme also. Of course there is the dark side of Pluto, it’s trines can inflate the subject’s sense of power and this is when nanny becomes fearsome headmistress and dominatrix.

New Moon in Ursa Major

The new moon is nearest fixed star Alula Boreale in the hind leg of Ursa Major the great bear. But it is also not far from Thuban in Draco. These constellations are up near north pole and therefore have always been held sacred by ancient cultures who observed how all the other constellations revolved around this central point. The pole stars were always regarded as a divine spot. A great deal of the world’s mythology revolves around the constellations in this area. Both the great bear and the Dragon have similar qualities of being the protectors of all life. They are also guardians. Ursa Major is regarded as the great she-bear goddess, and she represents quiet female strength. Her rage will come out however in defence of her cubs.

Ursa Major is like Mars. It is said to give a quiet, prudent, suspicious, mistrustful, self-controlled, patient nature, but an uneasy spirit and great anger and revengefulness when roused.” It is interesting that within her brood of stellar babies she has the bloodbath star Phecda, which has been very active in my weekly forecasts lately.  The Sun, Mercury Rx and Venus have all been lurking around this area. How is it that the great mother can also be so destructive? Where she can give life she also can take it. The alpha star of Ursa Major is Dubhe, which is near the head and is the more stable. Apart from Phecda, all the bear’s stars have an awesome presence that commands respect and slight fear, because of the still grace and weight that the she-bear exudes. Ursa major is rather like the Sicilian grandmother who can silence a room full of stroppy teenagers and screaming kids with a glare.

New Moon August 29 ChartThe card I picked for this New Moon was SerpensFour Of Cups. The heavenly serpent speaks of healing and confronting unattended feeling from the past which are feeding suspicion and insecurity, without facing them they fester and become toxic. The snake is the souls surrogate offering us the homeopathic remedy. This card brings together the healing of Isis and the seething sexuality of moon trine Pluto which if not released could become poison. Underlying it all is the terrible mother, the rage and the vengefulness of the great-bear when provoked. If this new moon is aspecting your chart in anyway then the following themes could play out in the areas connected with the house it falls in and the planet it aspects:

Remembering, re-assembling, renovation, re-birthing, respecting, guarding, protecting, devotion, patience, quiet-strength, coping, unifying, bonding, stoicism, acceptance, tolerance, endurance, simmering, withholding, waiting, supporting, reserving, sacrificing, nanny-state.

Home > Moon Phases 2011 > New Moon August 2011.

ARCHIVE COMMENTS

AlterEgoTrip on August 24, 2011 at 11:02 am (Edit)
Its minutes away from my IC… just really tight “wham” feeling to it, like a dart to the target, much like my Solar return chart seemed to feel like…
ah hope its just playing nice with my IC and Jupiter.

Mars just recently crossed the eclipse point as well as the Solar return point.. and it seems quite personal, a really stressed feeling, and electromagnetic sensitivity.. I’m getting swimmy headed when the solar activity starts kicking up.. it did most strikingly last month the night of July 22nd… took note of the solar activity later the next day, and then news of a minor earthquake in the radius of 500 kilometers from where I was.

Hope I don’t have to deal with any more of this.. but on a lighter note at least I will be alert to any sky activities such as strong auroras.

Rachel on August 24, 2011 at 12:31 pm (Edit)
‘the nothingness that strings together and upholds the stars with invisible support’
That’s beautiful Marina, lovely post. This new moon falls on my Ceres in 6th house, the whole aspect pattern you describe is affecting me personally, quincunx Uranus on my sun and trine Pluto nearish my MC and square sun.
Struggling with big decision to go back and look after elderly mother and also be nearer my family and children finding their feet in London. Never felt more like a mother bear – protection, re-assembling, devotion, endurance, sacrifice – yup, you got it! This moon will focus the decision.
It’s by the sea and the night sky is wonderful there!

Marina on August 24, 2011 at 7:10 pm (Edit)
Oh yes big decisions, relocations, sacrifice, children….I’m right with you too!

rob on August 24, 2011 at 1:03 pm (Edit)
interesting that you tie in Serpens, Marina – the North Node is at the tip of the head of the snake in constellation Serpens (and trine Mercury) – that snake threads its way through constellation Ophiucus, he holds its neck in his left hand

‘four’ as stabilising influence and the stable grounding of seated person’s meditation on the dynamic bountifullness of the three cups, whose gifts are reaccessed through the spiritual gifts that the fourth cup is offering – all this supported by the ‘world tree’, nature – very nourishing and healing, and, just as Isis was able to restore Osiris, Aesculapius (associated with the figure in the constellation Ophiucus) was able to restore the living spirit to the dead and mortally wounded through the serpent’s healing gift, herbs, nature – the interweaving of symbols is beautiful and optimistic and brings to mind the organic nature of the cosmos, the electric universe, its current of living energy symbolised by the snake

thanks for a great reading, love the interplay of planets asteroids and stars

Marina on August 24, 2011 at 7:07 pm (Edit)
Thanks Rob, I felt the Moon forecasts needed a rework and a new structure since the weekly forecast has taken over the more detailed forecasting and more fluid narrative for the two weeks ahead.
This way I can focus on researching the individual stars and asteroids. When the Moon is past its sell by, I can go onto splitting the post into star and asteroid and add more info to them both. Then they get a second leash of life and I can build up an Asteroid and star database, which I will eventually turn into a book!
It also keeps it a lot more simple and easier I think for people to see how it effects their own chart by sticking to a set of keywords each time.

Nancy on August 24, 2011 at 6:55 pm (Edit)
I am definetly putting my foot down. I am reintroducing the scedule now that school has started again and sticking to it for my son. Hopefully having my endeavors be successful is what this is all about

Uberqueenofwands on August 24, 2011 at 9:48 pm (Edit)
This moon is conjunct my Mercury at 5 degrees. My asc is 9 Virgo, So Venus there and Jupiter and Pluto.

Earnest Dodge on August 25, 2011 at 12:50 am (Edit)
This new moon will be conjunct my natal moon in the 3rd house of the Goddess at 4Virgo35– moon being the ruler of my Ascendant, and progressed Moon being minutes away from perfection of trine to my natal sun in 11th house Taurus from the 7th. It sounds very much like a reification of my basic nature rather than anything new!

Ed_Gemini on August 25, 2011 at 10:07 pm (Edit)
conjunct my natal moon at 5 deg virgo as well (my 7th house)…while trine my natal saturn at 3 deg taurus, square my natal sun at 3 deg gemini, and square my MC at 2 deg Sagittarius. don’t know exactly what to expect…hoping that since venus is in play along with the grand trine with pluto (which trines my natal saturn) and jupiter (wide orb), my new job prospect won’t be in jeopardy.

Jamie on August 25, 2011 at 2:32 am (Edit)
“Isis is also about resurrection, re-assembling and re-membering.”

These are all the positive Pluto things you would expect with New Moon trine Pluto.

Marina on August 25, 2011 at 9:34 am (Edit)
I know its funny how whatever way you read this moon you come up with the same archetype. Isis is also the Egyptian equivalent of Virgo. This moon happens to be in Virgo….. On my travels researching Isis I found this: http://www.librarising.com/astrology/misc/virgo.html
So Mr Virgo you are not the only person who thinks the Lilith constellation should be Virgo. I still think Ophuichus is the obvious Lilith constellation (see Robs comment on Serpens, interesting link to the 4 of cups). But I do see the Virgo connection and I love the way Librarising has brought together all the magical goddess’s. I do see Persephone/Kore as Virgo though and that she is a resurrection goddess like Isis.

I always saw Virgo as the witch/crone, remember back on HA when I made my debut post about Chiron as ruler of Virgo and it got called the Harry Potter thread. Lol. Chiron is the wizard, Ceres is the witch and I reckon if we went into rulerships they would both be suited to ruling or being exalted in Virgo. Whoops went off on a tangent…

Gilly on August 25, 2011 at 9:14 am (Edit)
This new moon *exactly* conjuncts my Pluto and sextiles my Asc, closely trines my Mars; it might be a big one for me.

Aquarius40 on August 25, 2011 at 4:17 pm (Edit)
Question for Marina or anyone else:

My Pluto & Lilith are conjunct exactly at 9 Virgo in my 1st house. Do you think I might feel any effect from this New Moon or is the orb of influence not close enough?

Thanks.

Marina on August 25, 2011 at 6:53 pm (Edit)
Well I think with orbs its more like a dimmer switch effect rather than on/off. I would give 2.30 degs orbs for lunations, so probably you won’t feel this too strongly. But on the day you might, it just won’t last as long as if it was exact.

tiffany manning on August 25, 2011 at 6:09 pm (Edit)
as usual. loving your information and the way it’s so fresh and exciting. Somehow, it is hitting the nail on the head with the essence of your interpretations. I have my 67 year old mum returning home after a little holiday, and she is in need of help and protection to a certain extent… and oddly, so do I at present! The four of cups is interesting to me, I have been looking at it alot lately, especially Alistair Crowley’s interpretation. I have been considering this card to represent unhappiness in the emotions due to stagent conditions, toxic or stagnant waters, a stituation requiring movement and flow of emotions, tears witheld, keeping together for the sake of the children. Strength or stability on emotions, practical although extremely mundaine. Unable or unwilling to go with the flow of emotions and denying magic. – this also goes really well with your words of simmering, sacrifice, endurance, devotion etc. Nice one Marina, this has enriched my feeling for the card and, of course, the lovely lillith!

Marina on August 25, 2011 at 7:05 pm (Edit)
Thank you, yes I forgot about the Crowley Deck meaning. They were my main deck before I used The celestial Tarot. Yes the stagnant water is a great symbol for it, tears witheld, all that.. I’m glad I decided to keep the Tarot with this because it really seems to pull it all together. Great to get more input to the meaning of the card too.

Dr.Wasam Al-Saifi on August 25, 2011 at 9:23 pm (Edit)
THis quoted from link below:

In your natal chart, Isis indicates a point of true and undeniable love, an unwavering devotion to your chosen mate. Here, you are prepared to do whatever it takes to maintain the connection. There is extreme forgiveness and understanding, even in the face of jealousy, adversity and unfaithfulness.

Marina on August 26, 2011 at 2:12 pm (Edit)
Very, very interesting. Thanks so much for that. How far should Isis go in her unwavering love? Is Isis about putting your man 1st, above everything else in your life? Would would she sacrifice the happiness of her own child to do so?
Sounds like she is the complete opposite to Lilith to me… I wonder where Isis is in Hilary Clintons chart?

Dr.Wasam Al-Saifi on August 27, 2011 at 8:08 pm (Edit)
Wonder Where Isis ice into Hilary Clinton’s chart?
She has the scorpion in 4 “15 deg, the 5th Isis gained power over the scorpions Because she named Them in her spell. That there were seven scorpions ice Also important as the number seven was deemed to be magically potent and was Used in Various spells , Especially one associate wing the tying and untying of seven knots.

Although Isis was Effective magic in this tale into a story Further Horus was bitten while Isis left heaven in the marshes at Khemmis HAVING gone to find food. Her Screams reached the ears of the Sun God Re and this caused heaven to bring his sun-boat to a level Causing the Earth to Be plunged Into darkness.

Isis, Spiritual Mother, superior Moon. It gives cleanse and transformation, it’s connected with alchemy of soul. Isis gives vent to the man the cosmic waters washing off all evil and filth, bringing his soul in primary, clarified condition.

Marina on August 27, 2011 at 9:39 pm (Edit)
Re: Hilary, she would have it conjunct Venus and Chiron wouldn’t she? Amazing.
I just found out I have Isis trine the Sun by a degree in a grand trine with my North Node. Crumbs….

AlterEgoTrip on August 28, 2011 at 9:27 am (Edit)
I would also look to her Juno, just on a hunch. (Giving away power for a powerful partnership). But I agree, fantastic work on Isis! Nice emphasis this New Moon.. good to get a real feeling for one of the many “witchy” archetypes I find natal Isis in my own chart stuck at around 20 degrees Gemini (within Orb of Circe at 22 degres Gemini close to that 23 Mercury!) /square Pluto .. an intensive awareness of infidelity issues.

(Odd thing is I have “studied” occult topics, and have known many witches but am not a practitioner so I feel its very weird that I’m surrounded by these Asteroids and BML as well)

My husband has Isis conjunct Pluto/Uranus and we both have had long term relationships x-s who we have left due to their own “outside interests” and loyalty issues.

In our composite, Eros and Psyche is conjunct in the 4th house at around 5 degrees Virgo, this New Moon has really activated some of that stuff.

Chrion transiting opposition.. brings up allot of old passion and hurt…but activates the bond within. I’ve been through the wringer this week! I’m sure he has too.

The magnifying glass focal point, Isis.. the energies of the Sun and Moon combined will bring a very strong Isis vibe for the coming month, for all of us, definitely!

Danielle on August 31, 2011 at 5:05 pm (Edit)
I just realized my Isis is at 12 degrees Taurus on the 4th/5th house cusp…trining my capricorn sun at 11 degrees (12th house) also today trining Venus in Virgo… Is this good or bad?

Danielle on August 31, 2011 at 5:07 pm (Edit)
*and opposite my scorpio midheaven by exact degree

AlterEgoTrip on August 31, 2011 at 6:18 pm (Edit)
Sounds like by transit, its going to create a grand trine, using the two ends of your trine and then the transiting planets in Virgo..

I would think that if there is not too much conflicts, maybe a few days of some easier stuff.. harmonious or at least flowing unobstructed. I suspect that trines suggest energies that go easy and unblocked, but like the walk in the park, its usually at the best, uneventful, nice view and smelling the flowers.

At the worst its like no one tells you can’t pick the flowers and walk on the grass, you’ve walked on the grass and picked a bouquet (and the signs are everywhere) and you don’t even care anyway… just flowing, not bad by intention, just at ease.

Dr.Wasam Al-Saifi on August 25, 2011 at 9:32 pm (Edit)
Isis
Picking up the pieces and breathing new life into situations torn by deceit or trauma. Knowing when and how to release that whose time has come.
Lavender, Orange Blossom Absolute & Rose…..

lucy on August 28, 2011 at 10:41 am (Edit)
Dr. I think your NN&SN symbols are reversed, just a virgo detail

Dr.Wasam Al-Saifi on August 29, 2011 at 10:10 am (Edit)
Hi, do you want explanation for them ……

lucy on August 30, 2011 at 12:37 am (Edit)
sure, explanation of common use, I draw the NN w/ node circles on top etc. enjoying your comments as the mingling of science/astrology gives both a boost. thanks!

Dr.Wasam Al-Saifi on August 30, 2011 at 10:24 pm (Edit)
Thank you very much…. N.N IN SAG /
Major issues in your life centre around knowledge, communication and understanding. Early on you are very strongly influenced by the ideas of others, and you spend a lot of time passing on knowledge which comes from intellectual authorities. In general you are drawn in to a
world of gossip which seems to dissipate your mental energy. You meet too many people, are always on your way from one place to another, and generally have difficulty formulating precisely what you stand for. As you get older
there is a greater need to allow your own ideas to germinate. Man important role in inspiring your new-found intellectual
independence. By withdrawing from the enervating energy of the crowd, and by developing latent talents of reflection, you can enrich your life with a meaningful philosophy. It is
important for you to expand your spiritual horizons as a counterbalance to the distractions of the world.

IN You enter professional life with a number of good cards in your hand. You have the ability to communicate and a good
grasp of facts. On top of this you may have specific talents concerning the nature of the mind and the way it functions.
Yet there is a tremendous restlessness and lack of staying power which means that you tend to change direction repeatedly, so that you have difficulty consolidating your
achievements. As you mature you develop a strong need to weave all these threads into something more meaningful, aphilosophy which puts your ambitions into perspective. An intellectual hunger may bring travel which widens your
horizons and opens your mind. Adult education
opportunities give you new understanding. International dealings and cultural exchange can also form the backbone of changed career goals.

—————————————

Sabina on August 26, 2011 at 4:45 pm (Edit)
Here in Canada ursa major (Big Bear) is the first constellation we are taught to recognize. The symbolism of the Great (Mother) bear in the cultures of our aboriginal peoples is worth a Google. One fact coincident with the Persephone/Great Bear myths is that the bear spends about half the year in a state of hibernation, literally gone to ground. The bear is a special totem of native peoples because she so closely resembles ‘Man’. (Signed, a Virgo 12th Sun/Virgo Asc.)

Rachel on August 26, 2011 at 7:55 pm (Edit)
poetically enough this moon is on my daughter’s Persephone as well as my Ceres…these different aspects of Virgo fascinate me

lucy on August 28, 2011 at 2:36 pm (Edit)
NM Time slows here.

Transient on August 31, 2011 at 12:41 am (Edit)
Creditation for some of that above information from Wassam belongs to this website

lucy on August 31, 2011 at 5:22 pm (Edit)
yeah hummm

it’s funny watching politicians in full NN/sag/don Quixote style…do as I say not as I do hyprocacy, tilting at windmills, straw men, imaginary enemies, Like Hurricane Irene…standing up like boobs…self-righetiousness extrodinare, makeing dumb-ass proclaimations and then things go hay-wire….example Libia and nato justification…”must save civilians!” result: thousands of civilians killed by NATO & rebels… Or a fake hurricane when a real one was needed to satisfy huge egos. Then we have Obama trouncing around the vineyard, visiting ‘millionaires and billionares’ when according to him they are evil and worthy of huge taxe increases, not to mention his lavish life-style since resuming office.

My mom & 1 sister are in nodal return and they don’t understand who they are, how they appear, preaching non-materalism and accumulating a lot a stuff, new cars etc… also the both are life long democrats thinking that’s ‘liberal’ true liberals are now libertarians….they both let off steam and are generally good thinkers, nose to the NYT, or some other liberal rag…and try to educate me haha.

my nodes are saftly squared in NNpisces cringe, cringe

lucy on September 1, 2011 at 2:39 pm (Edit)
virgo sun all by itself has a feeling of returning energies, just as leo sees things fall apart, hence desire for a leader to emerge, virgo is on the move, especially w/ the early pluto/cap trine. So here is virgo/sun looking at a ton of chickens come home to roost, like wise jupiter/taurus/trine pulling bacwards our memories don’t serve well…so corpes are uncovered at the most inopportune time, infact timing is all off…virgo wants to return to the cruxt, the nodes want to pretty it up with speaches…everything is political here of course.
It’s just that all birds return and summers over sigh

1 COMMENT

1. When I initially left a comment I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now every time a comment is added I receive 4 emails with the same comment.
    Perhaps there is a way you are able to remove me from that service?
    Thanks!